~ I just decided one day that I was tired of not doing anything ~


I just decided one day that I was tired of not doing anything for myself.  So I signed up for an adult dance class...by myself...with total strangers...and there is proof on Youtube.

Moms are notorious for never having any time for themselves, I don't think I need to elaborate much on that. And if we do actually do something for ourselves, it comes along with a ball and chain... it's called guilt.

Months ago I came across a video on Facebook of adult women taking a dance class, which on the surface sounds kind of silly. But if you've ever been a dancer you know that moving to music is like therapy, and it feels good all the way into your soul. And if you're a former dancer you probably miss it terribly, like I do.

There really isn't anywhere for women my age to dance. I'm not going to exactly go tear it up in the club this weekend, and I tried to take a Zumba class once and the instructor was awful. She couldn't even stay on beat.

I really wanted to take this class. It looked so fun.  I have zero ballet experience but I shook my ass on the Pom squad for 4 years so I figured I could fake my way though it. Even if I embarrassed myself, at least I will get to dance again.

I tried really hard to talk myself out of it. I had plenty of excuses....

We're too busy...
I won't be as good as the other girls in the class...
It's a 20 minute drive each way...
Libby Lu and Luci have gymnastics that night...
Rocky has baseball practice that night...
I would have to spend money on new dance shoes...
and finally,
I don't have anyone to take it with me...

The last excuse weighed the heaviest on me. I really wanted to recruit some friends to take it with me, but I felt like I would just be setting myself up for disappointment.  Because let's face it, we have turned into some seriously flaky people. Generation X.... I'm looking at you.

Facebook gives us a false sense of friendship and trying to convince people to get off their couch and hang out with you in real life is sometimes harder than it should be. So I signed up by myself.

I called my awesome husband and said: "Hey, for the next 6 weeks I need you to completley handle Wednesdays nights, it's gonna get messy and we're gonna need help from Aunt Patti or some teammates with car-pooling, but I'm out of commission the next 6 Wednesday nights after 8pm, cool?"

"Cool" he said - he knows I never ask for anything like this so he was more than happy to hold down the fort.

When I pulled up for my first class I was pretty nervous.

The other ladies in the class welcomed me with open arms and even let me take a silly selfie for my blog.  They were so fun, and they feel the same way I do about dance. The gorgeous lady on the left in purple is Lucy, she owns the studio :)



So for those next 6 Wednesdays I missed the girls dance class, Rocky had to bum lots of rides to baseball and we had to call on a lot of babysitters....and guess what? Everyone survived....without me! (Gasp!)

Actually the kids were really proud of me. Every time I came home from dance class I had to show my girls everything I learned in my living room. They would give me a full critique and tips on how to improve.

In the end, taking an adult dance class with total strangers is one of the best things I've ever done for myself and you can bet I'm going to keep going...I can't imagine missing out on all this fun.  Maybe in a few months I'll take a break from dancing and try something else like an adult ice skating class, or audition for a play with Luci. When you step out of your comfort zone and don't care what other people think, life can be a lot of fun.

Without further ado, I present to you my YOUTUBE DANCE RECITAL!!!

Okay, it's not actually called that. The owner takes a video at the end of each 6 week session to promote the class on Facebook...but I like to call it my Youtube Recital :)

P.S. Some of you won't be able to view this on your phone because we use a Katy Perry song but you should be able to view the link from a computer on youtube

If you would like to learn more about this awesome adult dance class you can check out this link -  JUST DANCING WEST   - Lucy will tell you everything you need to know about the next session that starts in 2 weeks!

And finally, I'm going to answer this question one more time to make it clear.

So Kelly, with you busy schedule how did you have time?

I just made it work.  You make time for the things that matter, and this silly dance class mattered to me. I just decided one day that I was tired of not doing anything.  If you find yourself feeling the same way I hope this blog motivates you to make a change.


Our Sponsors

#
#
#
Designed by FlexyCreatives