~ Dear St Louis, It's not you. It's me. Love, Albert ~



Dear St. Louis,

It’s not you.  It’s me.

Love, Albert

We just got dumped.  By the crappiest of all crappy break up lines.  And you know what?  He’s right.  It’s wasn’t us.  Because we were awesome.  We were there for you man, in good times and bad.  We took you under our wing, we adopted you as one of our own.  We got used to your thick accent and weird last name.  Through hitting slumps and the DL, 10 games out and wild card races.  

Our butts were in those seats.

And when you spent the last 3 years blowing smoke up our butt and promising us it was not about the money.  We believed you.  Then you hopped a ride on the first train out of town. 

What, like that extra couple million a year is going to be the difference between whether or not your family goes without food or necessities?    Hell, when most of us get a raise it means we can get expanded cable from Charter.   We made you an unbelievable offer, and you rejected us.  For the exact reason you said you never would. 

And now...it’s like you broke up with us, but didn’t tell us why, and it stings. 

It’s your own words coming back to haunt you.  Not ours.  

"Do I want to be in St. Louis forever? Of course. People from other teams want to play in St. Louis, and they're jealous that we're in St. Louis because the fans are unbelievable. So why would you want to leave a place like St. Louis to go somewhere else and make $3 million or $4 more million a year? It's not about the money. I already got my money. It's about winning, and that's it." - Albert Pujols 2009

This breakup is bittersweet.  I guess it’s true what they say:  It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.    I am happy you were a Cardinal.  I’m glad my son will grow up and tell his kids he got to see the best baseball player of all-time step up to the plate.

I’m not going to pretend like I know everything that went into this decision.  There are a couple things that I do know.  I think you are a man of God, and a gentleman who always gave back to the community.  I think you have a heart of gold with your family and with your charities and I expect none of that to change. 

You did everything that was asked of you as a Cardinal.  You were and are a role model on and off the field,

That doesn’t mean were not allowed to be pissed at you.    That doesn't mean I don't want to draw horns on you and black out your teeth in our prom picture.  

I’m sure you have some decent seasons left in you, but I hope we got your best years.  

Let us remind you that being a St. Louis Cardinal is not just a job.  It’s being a part of the best baseball nation in the world.  It’s a legacy and an honor.  It’s a privilege, not a right. 

Seeing you in another jersey is like seeing some chick skinnier and prettier than me wearing your letterman jacket.   But when the Angels hit a slump, and your bat is silent, and those seats are empty, you’ll think of us. 

And if we ever see you in a dark alley at the World Series I hope Carp makes you look stupid.

Cardinal Nation, keep your chin up, hate is just as ugly as greed.  

Thanks for the memories Albert.  I mean that from the bottom of my heart.  God Bless you and your family, may He keep you safe in your travels out west and I hope you have a sucky first season with the Angels,

Love,

Us

The Albert Pujols Remembrance Melodrama from JoeSportsFan.com on Vimeo.

(Funny video courtesy of JoeSportsFan on youtube)




Our Sponsors

#
#
#
Designed by FlexyCreatives