~ ASK KELLY ANYTHING ~



Hey Kelly...what is your favorite lens to shoot with and what is the most practical lens to shoot with? Hands Down the 50mm 1.2 it never leaves my camera body. For weddings, families, babies, you name it that lens is on my camera. If you can’t swing the $$ for the 1.2 check out the 1.4 ALOT of people swear by the 70-200 2.8 IS and it is a beauty too.


Hello,

I'm interested in photography and self-taught. Mostly, I take pictures of my kiddos! My question is about back-lit photos, they are my arch nemesis! Any tips? Sure! Backlit photos are a little hard to explain. But follow me here. If you want a beautiful “Back lit” photo first of all the light has to actually look like that. You can’t create it. Your lightsource (aka the sun) needs to be aimed at their backs or at a back/side angle. BUT you also need to have light bouncing off something to illuminate their face. Otherwise you will just get a big dark shadow person with the sun behind them. The light can reflect off anything, a brick wall, the concrete in front of them. It’s just a matter of trail and error. Once you figure out how to spot backlit situations it’s like riding a bike. It will all “click” and it will be a piece of cake.


In this photo below the sun is obviously behind Donna, but it's also bouncing off the wheat in front of her and reflecting onto her face.

In this photo the sun is behind Heather and Tim as well, (behind the gray wall look at all that direct sun on the trees) but it's ALSO reflecting off a brick building right behind me and reflecting back onto their faces.

I know this is not photography related - but I love Libby Lu's name and I am just curious if you considered any other names for her? She was always “Libby Lu” I did like the name Vivianna early in my pregnancy. We would have called her her “Vivi” - and towards the end of my pregnancy I fell in love with the name “Lula Mae” but couldn’t talk my husband into it. I will keep working on it if we get pregnant again. I would love to have a Luci, Libby Lu, and Lula :)

Photo by the fabulous Tonya Nickel with Simple Expressions Photography


I have a question for you. I am getting ready to shoot my first wedding and am a little nervous. My question is, during the ceremony, do you use your flash? The only time I use my flash during the ceremony is when they are coming down the aisle (the processional) the rest of the ceremony is shot with natural light. You will find your photos look MUCH better if you crank up your ISO and/or use a low aperture rather than blasting them with the flash. But I also have 2 side pieces of advice for your first wedding.

A) If you don’t have good gear or a lens that can shoot in low light rent one. You can do this and it’s very affordable. Check out www.lensprotogo.com or www.schillerscamera.com

B) If you are nervous about the lighting go to the rehearsal dinner, for free. The bride will be thrilled with the extra photos and you get to do a test run... Wah-la I am a genius :)


When doing a slideshow- what kind of music do you use and where do you get it from- legally! - Check out www.redbeardmusic.com


Can you show us some before and after photos? I am really interested to see what your photos look like SOOC (Straight out of the camera) and then what they look like when you are done with them. Sure. Here ya go! If I am in control of my lighting (time of day, location, etc...) then I can get it right in camera the first time and there isn’t much editing to do other than some minor tweaking or giving it a little “kick”. But other images need major surgery due to unflattering or flat light. I tried to give you a variety below.


Before
After
Before

After

Before
After
Before/After
Before/After


When doing a slideshow- what kind of music do you use and where do you get it from- legally! - Check out www.redbeardmusic.com



Do you let your clients choose locations for shoots, or do you? I am way too busy to let all of my clients pick their own location. I would spend my whole life in my car driving all over Gods Creation. I open up portrait dates every year at a variety of locations and they can pick from the variety of times and locations I have set up. I try to make it a variety of country and park areas to downtown city looks. There is usually something there for everyone.



How about oufit questions- I always get 'what should we wear' questions. any ideas? Most of my clients can tell from my website that I like bold colors, lots of color, lots of accessories. All of the old rules like “Don’t wear patterns” and crap like that I threw out the window a long time ago.


That's all for now! I will try and get part 2 up soon!

Our Sponsors

#
#
#
Designed by FlexyCreatives